Monday, June 30, 2008

Adieu Florent...

There have been a slew of obituaries lately, from Yves Saint Laurent to Tim Russert, not to mention my personal heartbreaker, Ruslana Korshunova. But the passing of Florent is truly humbling.

I spent many a late evening there back when it was surrounded only by rats and drag queens. And every time was fantastic. Sort of like a funkier version of Raoul's. I think the last night was New Year's eve 1991, in the good company of one Ms. D. de B. When in Rome...

5 comments:

C-Belle said...

I wondered down to Gansevoort yesterday, mostly by accident. Had a sudden craving for a cupcake, so I went to Billy's, but then for some reason, just kept going south. Ok, fine. I was following a couple young, firm, barely dressed gay boys. Found myself in front of Florent which was packed and there were people hugging and crying on the street. I tried to go inside for a cup of coffee to go with my cupcake, but then it seemed much more poetic to stand on the sidewalk in front of the diner, in the rain, and watch the gay boys dance on the street.

MrsCooper said...

I think this is the gay and lesbian week in NYC.

Billy's cupcakes are the best. I missed them.

Bartleby said...

Sounds like I haven't missed much. And to think that all those "boys" just moved there from St. Louis and Spokane.

MrsCooper said...

Florent is closed but the same group of people will be running the new one this month. I might be wrong.

C-Belle said...

MrsCooper - you are right. I think I heard that the people who own the space will be opening their own diner, and will hire many of the people who used to work at Florent.