Sunday, June 8, 2008

Boutique critique

I saw Sex and the City over the weekend. Actually I saw three-quarters of it, before I left for a bar.

I have seen the series four or five times, have read several media comments about it, have been aware of SJP's rise to fame, even saw it being filmed on West Broadway once. I like the dresses, having dated (as we said, and they still do) girls from Mobile and Atlanta in college. And yet, a mystery. Please tell me this is not about women-who-want-to-act-like-they-think-men-act. But it sort of seems that way.

Of the four (?) main characters, two have stereotypical male roles - the slut (male equivalent: horn dog) and the workaholic/bitch - no, I don't subscribe to her persecuted professional woman cover (male equivalent: prick). The third is a stereotypical Hollins grad and the last is the apotheosis of urban womanhood as viewed by the American male (female?) circa 2000. Basically, three characters who serve as foils to amplify the fourth's various relative virtues.

But the heroine can't carry the plot on her own, because she's too limited - she's a moon, always reflecting another's light, whether harsh or soft. She needs her simple simon friends around in order to shine. Only problem with that, for me, is that two of the friends are revolting and the third is absurdly saccharine. For what its worth, the male leads are just as papier-mache.

Some S&tC pundits say plot and character are all a red herring and that the series (and film?) is all about fashion, brands and the latest on-location restaurant shooting. Carrie couldn't have suggested better.

But I'll take a Hong Kong boutique any day.

4 comments:

MrsCooper said...

Do you mean the Bottega Veneta boutique?

I saw it tonight. It was longer than I expected. If I knew the running time was nearly of an epic film, I wouldn't have ordered a several cosmos.

Your analysis on the characters and storyline really hit the nail on the head. Overall I enjoyed it with a few laughs. However, I didn't enjoy watching the Miranda and Steve in bed especially the full frontal view. I hope you missed it. It put me off from indulging in my long-anticipated-chocolate-popcorn-feast.

Bartleby said...

Hehe. Was thinking more local; maybe D-Mop.

Is Miranda the workaholic/bitch? I think I missed that - obviously named after the Miranda Warning ("You have the right to remain silent, anything you say may be used against you in a court of law..." - I learned it watching Adam 12). I suffered through one Miranda/Steve sex scene, which contributed greatly to my early exit. Are you saying there was another one? That would be cruel and unusual. Sympathies.

If you have any chocolate popcorn left, take it in a doggie bag to Prince Caspian. No shorts and still a lot of jungle, but the knights are dashing...

MrsCooper said...

D-Mop!? They don't carry trousers named after major states : )

I like all the main characters because there are qualities in each of them that I can identify with. Miranda is a bit strong but she has other wonderful qualities such as loyalty, honesty, and many more...

Yes, there was another scene (about 10 seconds too long) near the end of the movie. I can only thank the director for saving me an intake of 500 calories and 1 hour of gym time.

C-Belle said...

I haven't yet seen the movie - but I plan to.

I was an inconsistent but appreciative follower of the series and while the characters did eventually get more fleshed out (especially in the later seasons), you are absolutely right: Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha are foils for Carrie.

But I'm not so sure about your characterization of women who want to act the way they think men act...

SATC was a phenomenon because, for almost the first time, it showed how women (or at least some women) actually do interact, with each other and with the men in their lives, at least on certain levels. In fact, if I took exception to anything, it was to how intensely FEMININE all the characters are. Because sometimes my girlfriends and I do discuss topics other than men and shoes and handbags. Not often, but sometimes.

Long before SATC aired, my girlfriends and I did a weekly boozy brunch, which we joked always cost us hundreds upon hundreds of dollars because boozy brunch was always followed by competitive drunk shopping.

Our reactions to SATC were wildly different. I was amused to see ourselves reflected in those characters, albeit in exaggerated ways. In contrast, one particular friend of mine felt violated - and still stands by her conviction that the writers must have been eavesdropping in on our brunches.

But regardless of our differing reactions, SATC engaged us.

But your post wasn't about the series. Most of the reviews I've read of the movie are negative. I'll still see it, and maybe even have a cosmo or two beforehand, but I've prepared myself for disappointment. Or better yet, I'll have LOTS of cosmos beforehand so I can quote you at the end of the movie and simply say: "I like the dresses."