Saturday, June 21, 2008

Distant and severe

The garden shed discussion got me thinking about John Ashberry, which got me thinking about this bit from Flowchart, which I finally found:

...Oh, my dear, I've tried that. But if it interests you
you can browse through this catalog, and who knows, perhaps come up with a solution that will apply
to your complicated case, just conceivably, or perhaps you know someone better informed
in the higher echelons where the view is distant and severe,
the ground blue as steel.

John Ashbery, Flow Chart

1 comment:

Bartleby said...

Ok, since NOBODY cares about this wonderful bit of social commentary, I will say that it makes the point that your shrinks etc are useless. In fact, if you're not a poet (or, probably, sleeping with a poet) you're clueless - damaged goods. This is why I didn't do grad school in Literature.