Monday, June 2, 2008

Now that might be entertainment

I have come to the following conclusion regarding children, adults and entertainment: single adults take their entertainment way too seriously. This is purely anecdotal, but it appears to be a law of life. If you have kids, try to recall the last time you discussed a sitcom or even movie with one of your single friends. For me, I have to go as far back as my yoga class during lunch time. Here's the conversation:

Guy in locker room (opening locker): How was the weekend?
Me (opening locker): Good.
Guy: Wadja do?
Me: Not much. Went to see Indiana Jones with my daughter. Have you seen it? It's good - pretty funny.
Guy: (Scoffs) Dude, those are all the same - freakin' Harrison Ford. The scenes with the rocks, the sword fights, you've seen one you've seen them all. Snakes, same shit.

My friend actually seemed a bit ruffled that I had seen the movie, or at least that I had mentioned it to him. Lighten up, big boy. I agree that all of the Indiana Jones movies are pretty much the same (or at least the two I have seen). So are John Wayne movies, Audrey Hepburn movies and Bruce Willis movies (I have actually only seen one, but I think I'm safe here) - that's the point. In the case of Indiana Jones, it's a kids' movie, and my 11-year old had a two-hour giggling fit, punctuated by staccato cringes and the occasional bout of eye covering. I liked the movie because I liked watching my daughter like it (okay, the Cate Blanchett character was funny and the ant scene was disgusting). The mistake I made was in assuming that other adults would share my perspective on the movie as just a kids' movie.

But come on, Indiana Jones is for kids, right? Adults don't watch stuff like that on their own... Right? The latest City Journal might disagree. Brave New World meets Homer Simpson...

7 comments:

C-Belle said...

Indiana Jones is GREAT. It's not possible to get enough movies featuring scenes of swordplay and snakes.

Suspension of disbelief is one of the best parts of childhood. Childlike wonder and glee is something all adults should try to hold onto.

- single adult

MrsCooper said...

I liked the movie - thought it was entertaining. Though I wished Daniel Craig was in it as the new, young, hot Indiana : )

Bartleby said...

Exactly. So the rationale single adult DOES exist when it comes to entertainment. At least in the swordplay and snake genre, anyway. My Sex and the City post is in the design stage ;-) Daniel Craig? Hmm. Most definately a rational single (female) adult.

MrsCooper said...

You would be surprise to learn that even married women fancy Daniel Craig and many more...It was a shame that 3 male directors were involved in this movie. One female director would have replaced the leather jacket and long trousers with a swimming trunk in the heat of the jungle! Surely they wore them in the 50s!

Bartleby said...

Swimming trunks would have been good. And then they would just need to replace the jungle with a cliff-side boutique hotel on Lake Logano. But then Karen Allen would have to be replaced by Angelina Jolie, the 42nd most beautiful woman in the world.
http://www.askmen.com/women/top50/42.html

C-Belle said...

ALL women, married or not, fancy Daniel Craig.

But since the movie stars Harrison Ford, whom I believe is about 130 years old now, long pants were a good choice.

Bartleby said...

Not a day over 100, but I see your point. But my Broke Back Mountain post ain't gonna happen.